Fedora 10 and flash?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 21:39:28 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 31, 2008 at 10:14 PM, Valent Turkovic
<valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 2:58 AM, Valent Turkovic
>> <valent.turkovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi, I must share this report with you.
>>> I don't use Ubuntu but I installed it on one PC in a lab for students
>>> and kids to learn using it (we have half Fedora and half Ubuntu lab).
>>> I opened Firefox and went to www.redhatmagazine.com and immediately I
>>> got a pop up window with a choice to install Adobe Flash, Swhdec or
>>> Gnash plugin. I was amazed how well this worked and that I had a
>>> choice to pick any one plugin that I believe it better.
>>> I know about Fedora's upstream mentality but I must take my hat to
>>> Ubuntu devels for making their "Ubuntu plugin service" work great. I
>>> know that this is what Mozilla should have made but with their track
>>> for supporting linux isn't the best one.
>>

>> Are you volunteering to create the necessary firefox extension and the
>> plugin finder service implementation which mimics what Ubuntu is
>> doing?  Can you find the code that implements the service as they
>> provide it for review?  Until we know how they do it, and what data
>> they use to do it, we don't really have a starting point worth talking
>> about as to whether we can do what they do.  I would have some
>> concerns about running a central Fedora service, because any service
>> Fedora would run would not be able to point at or reference a 3rd
>> party repository at all..which would sort of defeat the point i think.
>>
>> I've also already had conversations with upstream Mozilla people
>> concerning enhancing the upstream plugin finder... upstream
>> contribution is welcome... its just a matter of people working with
>> them.
>>
>> I'm not even sure we would need to run a service actually, if a client
>> side firefox extension could intercept the plugin request and
>> translate it into a packaging provides to send to packagekit.  This is
>> something to bring up with the packagekit developers.
>>
>> Regardless of whether this was upstream code or a Fedora specific
>> extension or service...
>> someone who cares about this would need to step forward to work on it
>> or it's not going to go anywhere.
>>
>> -jef
>>

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FlashExperienceIntrepid
>
> Have you maybe also talked with Ubuntu devels that made Ubuntu "Plugin
> finder service" ?
> Maybe they are willing to contribute their code and expertise to
> upstream Mozilla for this ?
>
> Valent.
>

> --
> http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
> linux, blog, anime, spirituality, windsurf, wireless
> registered as user #367004 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org.
> ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic

I contacted ubuntu-develpers and here is the answer I got: from Alexander Sack:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2008-June/025472.htm
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2008-June/025474.html

Does anybody know Alexander?

Cheers,