nscd by default?

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sat Jun 7 03:18:21 UTC 2008

2008/6/6 Colin Walters <walters at verbum.org>:

> Per discussion here:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2007-December/msg00355.html
> and followup here:
> http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-devel-list/2007-December/msg00409.html
>
> Is there a reason we aren't using nscd by default?
>
> I would say the current DNS situation is the most annoying desktop
> networking-related bug in the OS.

Or, as I think I point out somewhere in that thread, use dnsmasq which is
designed to solve exactly this problem. And it even has a D-BUS interface.
The only objection was something about DNSSEC. Which can always be fixed...

Incidentally, it appears OLPC has adopted it to support its connection
sharing. Though the main consideration there seems to be the fact that it's
a much lighter weight dhcp server than ISC dhcpd... :)