Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Sun Jun 8 09:38:12 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 19:43 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> I know this is flame bait, and we're obviously missing some context,
> but it seems very much like you threw a temper tantrum at the first
> sign of trouble, screamed "I TOLD YOU NO ONE HERE WANTS TO BE FREE"
> and ran home.
>
> Did you put up your patches without the rhetoric (through whatever
> inane obfuscation you needed)? Were they rejected?

No, I did it all: git.infradead.org/users/dwmw2/firmware-2.6.git
(well, not _all_ -- there are more drivers to convert. Help wanted!)

It wasn't rejected -- it's in the linux-next tree and should be going in
to 2.6.27. One we finish converting the drivers, we should have the
capacity to rip _all_ the firmware blobs out of the kernel without
permanently losing functionality.

At that point, we can at least have the _discussion_ about removing
those blobs from the kernel source tree and putting them in a separate
repository, without it being pie-in-the-sky.

Alex now says it isn't good enough, and is actually counter-productive.

--
dwmw2