LVM negates benefits of jounaling filesystems? [was RFE: autofsck]

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 08:36:31AM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> journaling filesystem you really shouldn't have any filesystem metadata
> integrity problems on power loss; that is, if you have barriers on
> (which ext3 doesn't by default) and if your storage can pass barriers
> (which lvm doesn't), or if you have drive write cache disabled (which
> hurts performance pretty badly).

I wasn't aware that LVM destroyed the kind of guarantees about
filesystem metadata being written out to disk that jounaling
filesystems rely on?  If so, should we perhaps rethink the decision to
use LVM by default on Fedora installs?