Re: Requirements gathering for new package source control

Josh Boyer wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:06:41 +0200
Karel Zak <kzak redhat com> wrote:

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 08:23:19AM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 02:36:27 +0200
Karel Zak <kzak redhat com> wrote:

On Mon, Jun 09, 2008 at 02:19:38PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
Thank you all for your thoughtful consideration.
 - be able to easily rebase/refresh a patch
That's pretty outside the scope of any SCM we deploy.  Use tools like
quilt.
[...]

Generate patches from what?  We don't store exploded tarballs.  We
store tarballs and patches.
 Right... so, why we need any SCM (=source code managment)? Shouldn't
 be better for our work to use quilt+rsync?

No...  have you ever tried to deal with multiple people working on the
same package without some kind of merge/conflict detection capability
built into the tool used to "commit"?

It could be argued that storing patches in an SCM has conflict detection but not merge capability.

-Toshio