Some highlights about MediaWiki for noobs :)

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Tue Jun 10 16:32:35 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-08 at 10:30 +0400, Peter Lemenkov wrote:

> * Redirection pages. Almost all of us already have old userpages, but
> after migrating to MediaWiki we all got new ones, named differently.
> For sake of simplicity, you don't need to copypaste text from old page
> to new (or vice versa) - just add redirection. For example, user Peter
> has old page [[PeterLemenkov]]. He wants to merge the former and the
> latter. For doint this he just edits page [[Peter]] and adds the only
> message:
>
> #REDIRECT [[PeterLemenkov]]
>
> Thats all - every visitor of page [[Peter]] will be redirected to
> [[PeterLemenkov]]. See latest edits - I already fixed som pages.

Do you mean User:Lemenkov (or whatever your FAS user ID is)?

What I think you are looking to do is to do a ''move'', which is a tab
at the top of the page when you are logged in.  This sets up a redirect
automatically.  The rest of this is described here:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraProject:Wiki_migration_to-do

> * Rich set of special pages.

Thanks much for pointing out these feature pages to folks.  MediaWiki
has many Special: pages that are great assistance to a community
documentation effort.  Riding on MediaWiki/Wikipedia's experience in
pre-built wiki tooling is another benefit of this migration.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41