PackageKit UI

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Jun 12 12:13:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 12:17 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:09:10PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > This is the current UI of gpk-application in git master (and rawhide
> > from today): http://www.packagekit.org/temp/gpk-application.png
> >
> > It fixes most of the problems with PackageKit 0.1.x (other than the
> > slowness [1]) and I'm hoping to get a build in F9 updates-testing
> > sometime soon. The update viewer and the other tools have also seen some
> > love too.
> >
> > Comments/suggestions welcome,
>
> In the bottom right corner where you display the license tag, make each
> named license into a hyperlink to the actual online text. Since we have
> a pretty well defined list of allowed licenses in Fedora, we ought to be
> able to identify the online URL for each. The main hard thing would likely
> be the BSD licenses for which there are sooo many subtle differences in
> the exact wording people use, even though they're all basically the same.

Yes, and PackageKit supports licence texts that can be quite
complicated, or where packages have two alternate licences. A link isn't
so easy.

> > [1] ???we're still working on a new (much faster) yum backend
>
> Would that be the 'yum2' backend ? Or are you working on a 'yum3' backend...

yum2 - it's not quite ready for primetime but you can experiment by
editing the PackageKit.conf configuration file. If it breaks, you get to
keep both pieces :-)

Richard.