Re: PackageKit UI

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 16:02 +0100, Naheem Zaffar wrote:
> Been using packagekit for Fedora 9, and I generally like what I see
> (good work!) things that I think can be improved/current problems:
> 1. Do NOT list multiple versions of the same package. I see that in
> current Fedora release too. At times the version numbers are not that
> easy to compare package-x.y.1.y vs package-x.y.y.1 makes a person
> think. Other times if both are uninstalled, selecting the wrong one
> will probably lead to an updated available applet anywway...

Sure. We've got a LATEST filter in PackageKit for this, but the yum
backend doesn't seem to support it. I might hack on that today on the

> Solution: only list one - the latest one. If an update is available to
> the installed version, use the corresponding update icon
> (bugfix/enhancement/security) instead of an open or closed box.

> 2. The list on the left is a little "controlled". I am guessing the
> shown groups are hard settings instead of all possible groups? what
> groups are subsets of other groups?

Yes, comps is mapped into PK's abstract groups. The abstract groups are
shared with SUSE, foresight and OpenMOKO, and so just using comps wasn't

> Solution: have a tree menu. (yes, I realise this was removed earlier
> from development as a "bad idea".) All packages shows the top level of
> groups below it. Clicking on any one group will drop a submenu of its
> subgroups.

Sure, see above.

> 3. There is no groupinstall, nor an obvious way to implement it.
> Solution: It does not have to be obvious This is additional
> functionality and can be behind a context menu.

Yes, this was my thinking too.

> I doubt everyone even
> knows about group install. The Pirut way works for those who know
> where to look. It is better than nothing, it works. With a tree menu
> (point 2) of all groups, it also has more power.

Well, I figured that a user would search for KDE and get a ton of
packages. Right click on any one of them and you can install or remove
the whole "set".

> 4a. (from packagekit in Fedora 9) hovering over the applet is sort of useless.
> 4b. The "progress" (similar to
> http://www.packagekit.org/img/gpk-progress.png) and "update/install
> completed" screens is also a useless waste of space. They also leave
> unnecessary windows open. the completed screens just lie in the
> background, ignored, giving no indication that a transaction has been
> completed.

Yes, this is mostly fixed with the new code -- there's only one sort of
progress box now, and it's only got one progressbar.

> Solution: combine the two/three into a better notification:
> hovering/clicking gives a proper notification with a full queue of
> what is waiting to happen, maybe with update bars too. the transaction
> complete bits should also be notifications, not a window that hides
> behind the one you are actually doing work in, waiting for the
> transaction to complete.

I'm not sure about exposing the queue, but it might make sense.

> 5. The updates available icons are not too obvious. Since they are in
> the system tray, it needs to be obvious that they are not just another
> program running there. I think something like the old up2date icons
> (bright red circle with an exclamation mark) would gain more
> attention.

You get the exclaimation mark for high priority or security updates -
but I agree the little orange star isn't that helpful

Cheers for your comments.