Re: automating updates

Thomas Moschny wrote:
2008/6/16 Christoph Wickert <christoph wickert googlemail com>:
Am Sonntag, den 15.06.2008, 23:04 +0200 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen:
Hmm... although I'm not much of a packager nor a frequent user of the
CVS system:

common/cvs-import.sh -b devel -m "update to x.x.x" /path/to/srpm
common/cvs-import.sh -b F-9 -m "update to x.x.x" /path/to/srpm
Jeroen, please don't do that. We had this discussion back in Feb 2007
on the maintainers list, please search for the thread named "Discourage
cvs-import (was: Re: Plan for tomorrows (20070222) FESCO meeting)".

Is using cvs-import for updating a package really discouraged?

From the discussion I was pointed to it seems it has to do with having the maintainer(s) look at the diffs before they commit anything, and cvs-import.sh possibly nuking changes other people made... Someone with more knowledge on the topic might be able to tell us a little more or step in if I'm wrong;

Afaics, cvs-import.sh forces me to look at a diff, so I'm not sure if this concern is still valid/current.

-Jeroen