Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

jeff moe at blagblagblag.org
Mon Jun 16 10:49:00 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 03:57:03AM -0300, jeff wrote:
>> ---> No, the difference is Fedora is *DISTRIBUTING* the non-free bits.  <---
>
> Please go read the Fedora policy on firmware.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/LicensingGuidelines

"Some applications and drivers require binary-only firmware to function. Fedora
permits inclusion of these files as long as they meet the following requirements:"

"The files are standalone, not embedded in executable or library code."

Well, what about tg3.c? That's clearly not standalone, for one example.

"The files must be necessary for the functionality of open source code being
included in Fedora."

Again, what about tg3.c? The non-free firmware in tg3.c is *not necessary* for
the driver to work. We have linux-libre users using tg3 successfully without
the firmware, for example.

It seems to me that it fails on two counts of your own policy.

The policy also states: "The License tag for any firmware that disallows
modification must be set to: "Redistributable, no modification permitted""

To me it seems clear, /at a minimum/, that the LICENSE tag of the kernel in
Fedora/RH is incorrect as it says it is "GPLv2", when there are more licenses
involved than just that, some of which say "no modification permitted".

Thanks,

-Jeff