Re: Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Les Mikesell wrote:
Peter Gordon wrote:
It makes sense for a company selling services[...] to apply a
restrictive license to prevent others from improving the product and
offering it in competition.

What? The GPL doesn't prevent this. It *encourages* and *enables* it.
Have you actually _read_ the GPL?...

You mean where it says, for example, that Linux and OpenSolaris can share the best of their features? No, I missed that part.

This seems to be just trolling. GPL is hardly specific to Linux kernel so I don't see why it would talk two such operating systems explicitly. The licenses are incompatible due to a deliberate choice.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/09/msg00002.html

Even if the licenses are compatible, there are other technological/design differences in between these operating systems (at the kernel level) preventing that from happening easily which is actually the major issue compared to the license.

Rahul