PackageKit UI

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 20:57:43 UTC 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 18:11 +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Richard Hughes wrote:
>>> The icons in the list change as you select them, for instance a trash
>>> icon is overlaid when it's to be deleted. There's also a non-trivial
>>> cost of looking up each themed icon which can slow the GUI down a lot.
>> Can that be done async?
>
> Ohh, I guess so, yes.

>>> Still in the planning state, I've yet to find a good UI for any of this.
>>> Yell if you can think of a good one.
>> Pirut did it in the context menu and providing a button when you click
>> on a group. You might want to check that out.
>
> Yes, I've checked it out and it didn't seem very obvious to me - it also
> ties PackageKit into the native comps mapping which it already maps to
> more abstract groups.

Perhaps it would be good enough to provide a sub-menu in the left that is an
abstract group 'Groups' and then have only the native comps listed in that
filtered 'abstract group'?  That should allow you to select and apply
installation/removal of a 'Group' without any UI change at all really, as if the
group was a package.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29