Re: Heads Up! Wavpack soname bump

2008/6/18 Peter Lemenkov <lemenkov gmail com>:
> Hello All!
> I just prepared to update wavpack to latest version (4.50). Among some
> bugfixes it introduces minor soname-bump (
> /usr/lib/libwavpack.so.1.0.1 >> /usr/lib/libwavpack.so.1.0.2 )

You can see if upstream has bumped the soname by running this

# readelf -a /usr/lib64/libwavpack.so.1.0.1 |grep SONAME
 0x000000000000000e (SONAME)             Library soname: [libwavpack.so.1]
Where the soname is libwavpack.so.1

On the other hand you can check if ABI has actually changed with
rpmsodiff wavpack-4.41-1.fc10 wavpack-4.50-1.fc10

Now i'm not really sure of how can be read this output, since there
might be symbol that have changed, but was not accessible from a
public API (so they are symbols used internally which doesn't produce
any ABI incompatibility).

The case where ABI breaks is when symbol are removed that might be
used by any dependent application.
(As I expect). When symbols are only added, this would mean that ABI
is preserved and the dependent application can optionally be rebuilt
to use theses new symbols (if they are somehow used within the
dependant application).

It would be nice to have this kind of check from a wiki page. I only
find thoses pages on the wiki, related to this subject.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/CommonRpmlintIssues
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/PackagingTricks#Application_binary_interface_changes_.28controversial.29

Nicolas (kwizart)