Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Wed Jun 18 19:24:35 UTC 2008

On Jun 16, 2008, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-system-distribution-guidelines.html

> Certain forms of software being non modifiable is perfectly ok
> according to FSF.

Err...  I'm sure there's some misunderstanding here somewhere.  Where
did you get that idea?

Do you by any chance mistake 'non-functional data' (images, songs,
etc) for software?

> Fedora as a project has done more to promote free software than most
> mainstream distributions.

I think that's true, even though it has regressed in this regard in
the past 2 or 3 releases.

> We aren't perfect however and that is well known.

We shouldn't claim otherwise, though, to avoid misguiding people and
generating useless discussions between the well-known truth and claims
that conflict with it, as much as we'd like the claims to be true and
the well-known truth to be past mistakes long fixed.