What changelog to preserve at untrivial merging?

Dmitry Butskoy buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
Fri Jun 20 12:10:48 UTC 2008

Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:47 AM, Dmitry Butskoy <buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru
> <mailto:buc at odusz.so-cdu.ru>> wrote:
>
>     Both packages have their own history. What changelog preserve in
>     the new mailx in rawhide -- the old entries from mailx-8.x, the
>     new entries from nail-12.3, or something else?
>

> I would consider it a package rename, nail -> mailx, thus the nail
> changelog should be preserved.
>
> Would it have been more appropriate to just have nail obsolete mailx?

Nope...

> What is the actual upstream name?

...because the actual upstream name is "mailx". (It was "nail"
initially, then it was renamed, since the original mailx-8.x development
is stopped long time ago...)

Hence new "mailx-12.3" upgrades the previous one "mailx-8.x" and
obsoletes "nail" (providing /usr/bin/nail symlink for backward
compatibility).

~buc
http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/DmitryButskoy