Fedora Support channels Improvement ideas

Scott Glaser sonar_guy at c-ccom.com
Mon Jun 23 22:35:07 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 17:15 -0500, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> That seems the most feasible solution to me. Java applets to connect
> to an appropriate channel from the fedora website would also be useful
> (to ease the barrier to entry)

As one of the current OP's #fedora, I think that starting with a basic
#fedora channel guideline would be the best way to start. Then the users
would know what is tolerated and what is not, it would also cover
guidelines for the OP's as far as code of conduct and what is grounds
for a ban/kick including time frames for each.

When I became and OP 2 years ago it was here you go your an OP now. This
was done due to the lack of OPs at the time. Several of us were thrown
into this position this way. Not a good way to start in the channel. It
would have been nice to have a reference at that time.

I am also one of the "Helpers" in the channel, I help many people to the
best of my ability. I do know quite a bit as I have been running *nix
since 1998 but I still have many things to learn. So I agree with the
proposed training sessions.

I am also one of the founders of Fedora Unity and the reason we set it
up was to document many of the items that could not be covered in the
Installation Guide due to legalities. I think we have done a pretty good
job but it would be nice if we could do better.

I am all for the the changes and believe it needs to start with
guidelines first, all the other things could be implemented at a later
time but the guidelines are needed NOW!! The guidelines would instantly
improve the quality of the channel in short time.

V/R

Scott Glaser
Fedora Unity