Fedora Support channels Improvement ideas

Scott Glaser sonar_guy at c-ccom.com
Tue Jun 24 02:40:34 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 21:55 -0400, Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:

> As the "super-op" for all things Fedora/Red Hat IRC, I agree with pretty
> much everything Kevin has said. I've been planning to write an IRC "code
> of conduct" for some time, but I've not yet gotten that far down my todo
> list.

I would be more than willing to assist in working on the "code of
conduct" with you. It has one thing that I would have liked to see from
day one.

> A few things we should consider:
>
> 1. Office hours. People who sign up to be "official" helpers during a
> regular shift can get +v, making them easily identifiable to people
> looking for help. We can document this in the topic (or in a FAQ URL).

I am willing to take shifts as both "Official Helper"  and/or OP as
needed.  I am in #fedora almost every night between 6pm and 11pm EST, so
it would not be much of an issue.

> 2. Auditing. It might not be a bad idea to put a very simple logging bot
> in #fedora which just logs the channel text. This would also help us
> track abuse in a more reliable way than how it is now ("This guy is
> being abusive.")

I think auditing would be great, as most of us who help and/or
participate currently as ops already do logging just so we see what the
hot-topics are, and to identify potential trouble makers in the channel.
Also most of the current ops communicate regularly which helps.

> We may need to take a look at who the ops are currently. Folks who
> haven't been active or helpful may need to be replaced.

There are a few of those such as corwyn who is no longer involved in
fedora or fedora-unity/

> WRT bots, we just need to keep the noise level from any bots to a bare
> minimum. Perhaps tie it into a user list so that helpers and chanops can
> have it speak in channel, and all other queries go to the user in
> privmsg.

I see this as important as once people determine there is a bot in the
channel tend to play with the bot to see what it can do.

V/R

Scott Glaser