Re: Fedora Freedom and linux-libre

On Sun, 2008-06-29 at 12:39 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:
> The GPL is not the only license that protects code released under it
> from incorporation into proprietary products.  But some clauses in the
> GPL prevent interoperability with other software that (for whatever
> reason) was released under different licenses that even the FSF
> acknowledges are in the spirit of freedom and open source.  That's too
> bad for free and open-source software.

Copyleft licenses are by nature incompatible with a number of other
licenses, and it's not because they are 'veil', a brief thinking about
the reasons for strong copyleft will make it evident why some licenses
are incompatible with others.

Companies that are 'scared' by whatever license should just change
lawyers/managers, they clearly do not understand the world they are
supposed to operate *.
Companies that strategically choose to not release software under
specific free software license just make choices. You have to ask their
managers. not their lawyers, why they made the choice.

* I have personally met lawyers so used to proprietary licenses they
simply did *not* understand the GPL and other free software license.
Once they stop trying to read only the legalese and start first
understanding the philosophy beyond a Free Software License, they
usually come to term with these licenses.

Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York