CreatingPackageHowTo

David A. Wheeler dwheeler at dwheeler.com
Mon Jun 30 20:11:13 UTC 2008

Mamoru Tasaka :
> Have you looked at https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines ?
> As you seem to be a new contributor, please also see:
>https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/Join (all new contributors
> are supposed to see this wiki).

Yes, absolutely. I read them (and many other pages) completely
before developing "CreatingPackageHowTo".  Neither is a tutorial
on how to create Fedora RPMs; they both presume you _already_
know how to create Fedora RPM packages.

The available tutorials are not very helpful, either.
Most (e.g, "Maximum RPM" and "RPM Guide") are out of date and
omit much of the Fedora-specific stuff that's important
if you're creating a Fedora package.  For example, how do I encode the
"License:" value in Fedora, properly?
I'm all for creating portable RPMs, but a tutorial needs to include the
information necessary to easily comply with Fedora's key rules. Otherwise,
you end up wasting a lot of time tracking that stuff down.

Both SuSE and Mandriva have both switched to
using a Wiki to maintain their RPM tutorials. Presumably, that's so they
can be kept up-to-date and include the distro specifics.

--- David A. Wheeler