Re: how to startup without a display manager

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 06:31:41PM -0500, Ted X Toth wrote:
> I want to play with Openbox on Fedora as a standalone window manager. Do
> I need to configure /etc/X11/prefdm to not start any display manager?

IIRC (it's been a while) You change the default init level from 5 to 3.

You can do this by either:
a) changing the "id" line of /etc/inittab from:
	id:5:initdefault:
	id:3:initdefault:
   and rebooting
or;
b) Appending a "3" to your kernel options, and rebooting.

That should leave you at a console login, from which you can startx

Yours Tony

  linux.conf.au    http://www.marchsouth.org/
  Jan 19 - 24 2009 The Australian Linux Technical Conference!