RFC: Page size on PPC/PPC64 builders

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Mon Mar 3 14:57:44 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:48:14 +0000 (UTC)
Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:

> Josh Boyer <jwboyer <at> gmail.com> writes:
> > Where are the test machines for x86_64 documented at?  I don't have one
> > of those and there are no publicly available test machines that I know
> > of.  I guess x86_64 should be dropped to.
>
> QEMU can help. It's very slow (about 50 times slower than native hardware), but
> it can do the job. For example, all of:
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewcvs/rpms/z88dk/devel/z88dk-1.7-64bit.patch?rev=1.1&view=markup
> was developed and tested with qemu-system-x86_64 on a 32-bit host.

I know this.  It was hyperbole for the argument that public test
machines have to be available for secondary arches when, in fact,
public test machines aren't available for any arch.  Apparently I was
being too subtle.

But your suggestion is quite good for anyone having problems with that
specific issue.

> You may also be able to test ppc or ppc64 that way, last I checked, I wasn't
> able to get Fedora PPC to work in QEMU, but hopefully that has been fixed
> since.

QEMU emulates a PREP machine IIRC.  Fedora doesn't support PREP
machines.  There are other options, such as the ppc970 system-sim, that
are available for download but they come with some interesting issues
of their own.

josh