file dependencies and packages and [blocker] bugs

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Mar 4 05:07:50 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 05:45 +0100, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 13:52 -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> > Hans de Goede (j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl) said:
> > > Basicly: yes
> > > Because:
> > > -adding a Requires: /usr/share/fonts/foo/bar.ttf line to my package is trivial
> >
> > ... and causes additional megabytes to be downloaded for every transaction.
> hyperbole. My view on this: the *.ttf deps un-hid a flaw in current yum
> transaction handling.

Where's this bug in yum transaction handling? There's nothing that
breaks, there's just downloading of the filelists which can be
circumvented by not having this file-dep. I'm trying to save everyone
bandwidth and time. There's no bug in yum that's being hidden by this.

> > Note that actually addding these files to the repodata *breaks any dependency
> > solver that tries to use it.
> I don't see this. If this breaks depsolvers, these depsolvers are
> broken.

It doesn't BREAK them it requires that you change them to accommodate
this change. These depsolvers include: yum, apt, smart and probably
yast.

-sv