RFC: Page size on PPC/PPC64 builders

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 18:11:21 UTC 2008

2008/3/3 Callum Lerwick <seg at haxxed.com>:

>  On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 09:41 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
>  > The more interesting issue is that the current Fedora kernel doesn't use
>  > 64KiB pages on PPC64 hardware. Only the RHEL5 and FC6 kernels do. That
>  > makes testing slightly harder, and is perhaps another argument on the
>  > side of switching back to 4KiB pages.
>
>  This says to me that if we don't handle 64k-page compatibility in
>  Fedora, it just ends up falling to the EPEL people. How do they feel
>  about this?

Ok EPEL hat on.. I would prefer that the builders use EL5 (64KiB-pages
and all ) to make sure that bugs are found and compatibility is kept,
but do not want to be a holdup for the distro. I also have started
looking at whether the builders could use CentOS binaries to try and
make the system more 'open' (so that any user could 'duplicate' the
system without needing access to RHEL binaries.. However CentOS does
not have full PPC support yet.

CentOS user hat on. I would like to see CentOS get full PPC support.
However, I do not have any hardware for it, and no personal funds to
cover the time it would take me to work on it.