[RFE] Gnome/KDE --> Checkfs/Format......

Johann B. Gudmundsson johannbg at hi.is
Tue Mar 4 20:34:06 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:
> � wrote:
>> Is there really any need for the user to have root access to the
>> computer he's or
>> to contact his system administrator ( in case he has one to begin with )
>> to format the floppy he wants to save his OO document on ????
>> And when the user has not put his floppy disk properly in the floppy
>> drive
>> is faced with "Unable to mount media <clicks> detail  -->
>> and gets mount: /dev/fd0 is not a valid block device
>> Instead of userfriendly msg like the cd/dvd rom outputs "There's
>> probably no media in drive"
>> which by the way is true in this case...
>
> Mounting and creating filesystems is something that PolicyKit should
> allow to be configured, see
> System->Preferences->System->Authorizations.  This is really a matter
> of default polkit policy being written to make it happen (and/or to
> prevent it).  I think in some cases it would be valuable to prevent a
> user from formatting any disks (think internet kiosk or security
> sensitive data on a workstation).

We are talking about external HD,USB keys Floppy's..
the same policy should apply to them as CD's ( burning cd or bootable
cd's )
We are not letting users format internal HD without the necessary
privileges.

Regarding internet kiosks workstations etc... then it's just common sense
to those who administer/manage to disable boot from CD's USB Floppy,
Password
protect Grub and disable certain keyboard short cuts etc..
Let the administrators do their job and lock down the system or make
adjustments to fit their
"work  environment" things should be focused on the desktop/home user...

But then again common sense ain't that common...

Best regards.
                   Johann B.