spec file changes: removing Release: and %changelog

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 07:56:40 UTC 2008

>  I've spent a little bit of time on the shuttle to/from work hacking on
>  Makefile.common.  The general idea is to remove the Release: and %
>  changelog fields from spec files, and have them generated automatically.
>  The goals are:
>
> [...]
>
>  * Obviate the need to keep two changelogs in sync

As Dmitry said, I would rather have the cvs log generated from the
%changelog because:

(1) I don't want my Spec files to be "controlled" or "written to" by
an automated Fedora-specific thing.

(2) I use 'cd /devel/redhat/SPECS && rpmbuild -ba foo.spec' to build
my packages far too many times than the other alternatives. When I
encounter any issues or do some modification, it is far too easy for
me to locally update the %changelog than remember what I did and then
provide all of them during 'cvs commit'. I really do not want to make
a 'cvs commit' every time I make any change to the Spec because for
all I know I might just have to revert the change 30 seconds later.

On the other hand, I would like a way to generate the cvs commit
message from the Spec's %changelog. Something like 'make commit'?

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life."
    -- Arthur Ashe