Last minute Nautilus change for Fedora 9

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Sun Mar 9 19:59:24 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-08 at 17:52 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
> I wonder how difficult it would be to get a patch accepted upstream for adding a
> second pulldown in the Preferences->Views pane which had Icon View, default icon
> zoom level, and default thumbnail zoom level.  The 'default' that option started
> at would be a minor issue, but exposing that as configurable more easily might
> be reasonable.

Less preferences, more direct manipulation. Ctrl-scrollwheel seems to be
becoming a defacto standard UI for zooming of various sorts. The user
should be able to just directly "zoom" a window, and then it should
stick. End preference segregation. Put preferences right where they
matter, such as in the context menu of the object it pertains to, don't
mash them all together in a preference dialog. Have we learned nothing
from Graphing Calculator?

http://www.pacifict.com/Develop.html

Its time for a major paradigm shift in GUI, based on zooming in and out,
driven by ever higher LCD resolutions and the ubiquitous availability of
scaling hardware. It's time to break free of the idioms developed for
the machines of 1994 and begin designing a new generation of software...