F8 kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 12:05:12 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Mar 2008 19:04:45 -0400, David Boles wrote:
>
>> Does anyone here recall a user by the name of Karl? Nice enough person but
>>    he had some problems with Fedora. He switched to Ubuntu and ta da!! his
>> problems went away.
>
> The list archives over there don't confirm that impression. The main
> Ubuntu users list has less traffic than fedora-list, but not only did the
> subscribers ignore some of his posts (which is what the people on
> fedora-list ought to have done, too), some of his posts are about various
> similar+different problems.
>
>> Ubuntu is better than Fedora? I don't think so.
>
> Certainly it was not a switch from "too many problems" to "no problems at
> all".
>
>> Is this current kernel problem acceptable? Of course not. But this is
>> Rawhide isn't it?
>
> No, it isn't.
> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F8/FEDORA-2008-2103
>
> It's an update of the type "you didn't play the guinea-pig while the
> kernel was in updates-testing, so you deserve the breakage when it
> appears in the stable repo".

Somebody has to test; this time not enough people did.  I hate to see the blame
being lumped on kernel devs for letting this get pushed when they cannot
possibly test it on all hardware.  For lack of testers everyone must test.
There is no viable alternative and the rest of our lives work exactly the same
way, not just with software.

If more people with the ability to handle recovery of their machines would run
with updates-testing enabled all the time this sort of thing wouldn't happen as
much.