default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Brendan Conoboy blc at redhat.com
Mon Mar 10 16:08:18 UTC 2008

Benjamin Kreuter wrote:
> Perhaps we could create a new option, like "Recommended layout for desktops,"
> that uses a reasonable estimate of what the partition layout should be.  If a
> user wants to change that, they can (and they can always "review and modify"
> the partition layout), and they can always resize later if they need to.  New
> users are often unsure of what the partition layout is, and unfortunately,
> they often fail to read the install guide.

People can always resize / later and add a /home.  Every system needs a
/ but not every system needs a /home.  Is there a strong technical
reason for a default /home?  Would that same reason also apply toward a
separate /usr and /var and /var/tmp?  Please, lets not get nostalgic for
SunOS 4 partitioning!

Brendan Conoboy / Red Hat, Inc. / blc at redhat.com