default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Benjamin Kreuter ben.kreuter at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 16:31:25 UTC 2008

On Monday 10 March 2008 12:08:18 Brendan Conoboy wrote:

> People can always resize / later and add a /home.  Every system needs a
> / but not every system needs a /home.  Is there a strong technical
> reason for a default /home?  Would that same reason also apply toward a
> separate /usr and /var and /var/tmp?  Please, lets not get nostalgic for
> SunOS 4 partitioning!

I can think of a good reason for a separate /home:  upgrade paths.  I know we
are getting better at it, but it can still be problematic if one tries to
install over a previous installation, and it is usually pretty smooth to just
format / while leaving /home intact.

-- Benjamin Kreuter

--
Message sent on: Mon Mar 10 12:26:38 EDT 2008