kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received for unknown reason...

Ralf Ertzinger fedora at camperquake.de
Mon Mar 10 17:19:14 UTC 2008

Hi.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 12:00:06 -0400, David Mansfield wrote

> I've only seen this happen on linux boxen with buggy hardware,
> especially bad ram or bad ram controller.

I've seen it on my X60s with a series of e1000 drivers. The root cause
is a buggy hardware controller, I think (buggy as in buggy by design, not
in my special case), but it can be worked around in the driver, which is
why the error suddenly appeared (and was subsequently fixed after people
found out what was going wrong).