default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 22:06:37 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 11:02 PM, Duane Clark <fpga at pacbell.net> wrote:
> Felix Miata wrote:
>  >
>  > I think most users of disks more than a little under 20G would ultimately be
>  > unhappy with that. I think I'd skip separate /home if HD size less than 19G.
>  > So, something like this:
>  >
>  > less than 19G -> up to 1G swap, balance /
>  > 19G-35G -> 8G /, up to 2G swap, balance /home
>  > more than 35G -> 12G /, up to 4G swap, balance /home
>  >

>  I would go way beyond that. Don't users install additional applications?
>  I have more than 30GB of applications installed, though I will admit
>  that is probably far from typical. I think for under 80GB of space, it
>  should be a single partition. Over that, if you are going to go for this
>  crazy scheme ;), make / at least 20G.
>
>  However, as a user, I can say that I will always use a single partition
>  (as I have been doing since my HPUX and Solaris days).

I have a lot, really a lot of applications installed and here is my df -h
/dev/sda6             7,4G  6,1G  1,3G  83% /

I'm talking about live cd + lots of additional software.

What did you do? Install everything from DVD and then go to town on
fedora repos? :)

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/