default partition scheme without /home - why ?

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Tue Mar 11 00:06:33 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 15:13 -0400, Jeremy Katz wrote:
> ext3 doesn't support online shrinking and I don't think that fixing that
> is on the ext4 todo.  So no matter how easy you make it, it's still not
> really going to be easy enough as a reboot into some other environment
> will be needed :-/

Couldn't we pull a trick the LiveCDs do, but the source is the existing
partition? Create a "Maintenance Mode" GRUB menu entry, booting it no
that would copy the some pre-selected (we would have to choose the
"reasonable defaults" here) programs into tmpfs, umount / and away you
go.

IMHO this is very important, a separate /home has saved me on several
occasions. Not to mention it makes upgrading or sharing a common home
between various distros a breeze.

Stewart