Beecrypt retired

Lubomir Kundrak lkundrak at redhat.com
Tue Mar 11 21:30:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 16:37 -0400, Steve Grubb wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 March 2008 03:48:43 pm Robert Scheck wrote:
> > I've a third party application which depends on beecrypt, so I would claim
> > the ownership of this package at least on devel (maybe co-maintain on other
> > branches).
>
> I'd suggest they port to another library or package beecrypt into their
> application. We need to stop the proliferation of crypto and try to get it
> down to 1 or 2 libraries if at all possible.

There's no point in discussing this. It is not backed by any guideline
that is currently in effect.

And yes, it would be nice if we had just one crypto library, but having
it in repo doesn't mean anyone would use it. It just mean it would make
life of some people easier; Robert's for example. That is why limiting
plurality is not backed by a rule.