Including RPM's for older versions of firefox (and other applications)

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Mar 13 13:32:57 UTC 2008

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> With the inclusion of Firefox 3 in f9, how easy would it be to include
> RPMs for older versions of firefox.
>
> I do web development and while I can't wait to be able to use ff3 for
> personal browsing, I still need to be able to test with ff2 (and ff1.x
> would be nice too).
>
> This is something that has always frustrated me about Windows.
> Recently, I was offered IE7 as and update.  This is great, as I need to
> be able to test this browser, but now I have no ie6 to test with.
> Arghh.
>
> Can we do better, by offering installs of older browsers that can be run
> in parallel to make it easier to test browser based development?

If you have parallel installs of Firefox, doesn't it try to use the same
.mozilla/firefox directory and things go horribly wrong?

As a web developer you might be better off downloading upstream's binary
tarballs and putting them in the homedir of a different non-root user so
the different versions don't step on each other.

Warren