Fedora sound nightmare (Pulseaudio)

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Thu Mar 13 16:23:19 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 17:00 +0100, Lubomir Kundrak wrote:
> Do you have a bug report id?
> If not, please don't bother us with your sound problems.
> If yes, there's no need to spam -devel list with your pet bug.

So you think that while running a stable (not Rawhide) version
of Fedora, it is normal for me to file a sound-related bug report
every few days when it stops working, for the past 4 years or so?

And the bug should say what? Sound doesn't work? I tried: kernel
guys says it's ALSA, ALSA says it's SELinux, others say it's PA.
It is hopeless -- a single such report takes many hours to follow
up, and if I'm lucky, I'm told to download some sources and compile
them myself to test them out (which I'll _not_ do on my RPM-managed
production system).

I don't have problems with filing bug reports, but please realize
it's not sustainable to ask a user to _continuously_ file the same
bug report for a critical system component such as sound. This is
not a pet bug (as you so graciously remarked), but a critical
component on which many business processes revolve
(think Skype+conference).

We can't keep breaking working systems in a stable release with such
ease as it seems to happen now. This is F8, not Rawhide. It's the
sort of problem that has to be addressed here, not in a bug report.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>
Lattica, Inc.