Java packages, guidelines, ...

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 18 02:36:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 19:23 -0700, Konrad Meyer wrote:

> This is an old version of the spec, the current URL is
> http://konradm.fedorapeople.org/fedora/SPECS/joni.spec .
>
> > Just from looking at it, why do you need both the version and the
> > versionless .jar files?  What if you wanted multiple versions of this
> > jar installed, how would you handle the symlink?  Why does this not
> > build with GCJ?
>
> The version and versionless .jar files are mandated by the Java packaging
> guidelines draft. If you installed multiple versions of the rpm, presumably
> you're knowledgeable enough to configure the symlink to your liking.

Except that you'd get rpm errors before you could with file conflicts.
If parallel installation is a goal of java packages, which it seemed to
be expressed in the past, you'd have to remove any versionless files
like this or make sure they don't conflict with other versions.

>  As far
> as I am concerned GCJ is a slow, obsolete java compiler / environment, and
> shouldn't be used anymore. PPC and x86 alike have icedtea/openjdk in rawhide,
> which is FOSS and performs much better than GCJ.

Actually it doesn't perform better on PPC, and is non-existant for other
arches we're trying to bring up, namely sparc, arm, ia64 to name a few.

--
Jesse Keating