Fedora 9 Beta, PackageKit and system-config-printer

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Mar 19 22:55:20 UTC 2008

Richard Hughes wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 17:30 -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:
>> I don't think we want to just put up a UI where you can edit the
>> various fields that are allowed in a repo config.  As far as I know,
>> the three biggest use cases are:
>>
>> o User installs an rpm that deploys a .repo file into /etc/yum.repos.d
>>   - This is pretty good.  The .repo file itself is managed by rpm.
>
> Personally I like this approach as the rpm normally also installs the
> gpg key needed for this.
>
>> o User downloads a repo file and saves it to /etc/yum.repos.d
>>   - This is ok, but the user has to save the file as root.  Maybe if
>> the repo had a mime type that firefox could recognize, and send the
>> file to PK to deal with?  I don't know if this is a common enough use
>> case, or something that we want to encourage.
>
> I don't this we want to be saying to random user to put random files as
> root on their filesystem. A utopia-repo.rpm type rpm is 5 minutes work
> max.
>
>> o The sysadmin deploys .repo files to a bunch of systems using puppet,
>> or some other config management tool
>>   - This is fine, too.  PK lets you enable/disable these locally if
>> needed.
>
> Sure the other problem is with the abstraction. As soon as we add repos
> (removing is easy) then we start having to deal with mirrorlists and
> excludes and that sort of thing which is very difficult to abstract.
>
> IMO, the sort of user editing repo files isn't the sort of person who
> should need a GUI tool...

I don't "need" a GUI tool for any sort of package management at all. It
is merely convenient at times to be able to edit repositories via one.
Things like enabling updates-testing repository to quickly grab a new
package, enabling a repository for a particular session when it is
otherwise disabled, pointing to a local mirror or different source for a
repository, switching between base url and mirror list etc are things I
do pretty often. In Pirut, I have enabled the media repository on some
systems too.

Rahul