Packaging Guidelines: Why so lax for BuildRoot?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Sat Mar 22 18:47:16 UTC 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Stephen Warren
<s-t-rhbugzilla at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
> I'm curious why the packaging guidelines aren't more specific re: the
>  requirements for the BuildRoot tag.
>
>  To my mind, the BuildRoot is a purely internal "implementation detail"
>  of the build process, and no package should really depend on any
>  specific detail of the BuildRoot value/location.

There's a huge list of things like this that are basically just
copy&paste from the wiki.  I think the right medium-term approach is
to generate .spec files from a file like .spec.in as part of the build
process.  I've been working on and off on the Makefile.common and koji
modifications necessary for this approach, and I hope to have an
updated version to post within a week or two.