Packaging Guidelines: Why so lax for BuildRoot?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Mar 22 23:40:30 UTC 2008

Stephen Warren <s-t-rhbugzilla <at> wwwdotorg.org> writes:
> I'm curious why the packaging guidelines aren't more specific re: the
> requirements for the BuildRoot tag.

Because there were endless fights over which of the 3 BuildRoots now listed is
the right one, so they ended up just allowing all 3 as a compromise to stop the
fights. By the way, the first one (the mktemp) is listed as preferred, but the
second one is actually the one used by almost all packages (partly for
historical reasons, it used to be the one which was mandated).

>From a security standpoint, all those variants are flawed though (even the
mktemp is subject to a race condition), there is a proposal by Lubomir Kundrak
to fix the mess:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackagingDrafts/SecureBuildRoot
but so far it's just a proposal.

        Kevin Kofler