Suggestion Next Release

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 03:30:09 UTC 2008

Andrew Farris wrote:

>> It isn't that the oddball action is impossible, it is just wrong.
>
> Wrong?  There is nothing wrong with spatial browsing...
>
> Surprising to you?  Surprising to whom?

To anyone who has used any other windowing system or any application
that has a File/Open new window option and expects to get new windows
only when they ask for them.

> A person new to linux who has
> no exposure to Windows does not find this behavior surprising, I assure
> you.

Why would someone only use one OS? And why should you have to be such a
person to find this behavior tolerable?

 > A window gets opened, you then open another folder... one without
> any prior expectations will observe that opening a different folder
> should open a new window.

And when they go more than a few folders deep they'll still be annoyed
at all the useless still-open windows left around even if they expect them.

> A person new to nautilus spatial browsing but who has experience with
> linux may find it surprising, and so will someone who has experience
> with Windows Explorer but who has never seen Apple OS.

The finder in OS X doesn't clutter my screen that way - at least in
10.5.  What Apple OS do you mean?

> If this argument
> is going to be used lets get to the root of it... is conforming to the
> 'de facto' standard (folder trees) in browsing files in the Windows
> world important?  There is no wrong.

"Different for no reason" is wrong for anyone who works with more than
one system.  And opening new windows all over the place is different
even from earlier versions of nautilus itself.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com