Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Mon Mar 24 14:00:55 UTC 2008

On 23.03.2008 23:14, Alex Lancaster wrote:
> pk> Hi, Thorsten!  I'm interested in the GSoC Package WebUI project
> pk> idea.

Note: I added this old idea (¹) to the pages months ago when Quaid asked
something like "we want to make sure we have enough good ideas for the
next GSoC, so feel free to add ideas to the wiki page, even if the GSoC
is still many months away"

(¹) it was on the FESCo agenda months ago when Fedora Extras still
existed, but was forgotten over time

> [...]
> pk> I think that http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and
> pk> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages are very convenient and
> pk> functional tools.

Fully agreed. I use those webpages round about once every two weeks if I
need to know what debian or ubuntu do.

> [...]
> pk> What is the main criteria for application?

No idea -- as I said, I just added the idea to the wiki. I have no ideas
nor skills how to actually realize the WebUI; thus I don't think I can
mentor this idea further *and* I don't have the time or interest for it.
Sorry.

> pk> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas
> It seems that the WebUI overlaps considerably with the "MyFedora" idea
> which has already been started:

Yeah, MyFedora was still young (or even not born yet) when I added the
idea to the wiki. I don't know much about MyFedora, but afaics it could
need help as well and might be a good GSoC project.

Cu
knurd