Application for GSoC Project - Package WebUI

Pavel Khardikov sonic at inetwork.ru
Mon Mar 24 16:46:33 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis writes:

>> pk> Hi, Thorsten!  I'm interested in the GSoC Package WebUI project
>> pk> idea.
>>

> Note: I added this old idea (¹) to the pages months ago when Quaid asked
> something like "we want to make sure we have enough good ideas for the
> next GSoC, so feel free to add ideas to the wiki page, even if the GSoC
> is still many months away"
>
> (¹) it was on the FESCo agenda months ago when Fedora Extras still
> existed, but was forgotten over time
>

>> [...]
>> pk> I think that http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and
>> pk> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages are very convenient and
>> pk> functional tools.
>>

> Fully agreed. I use those webpages round about once every two weeks if I
> need to know what debian or ubuntu do.
>

>> [...]
>> pk> What is the main criteria for application?
>>

> No idea -- as I said, I just added the idea to the wiki. I have no ideas
> nor skills how to actually realize the WebUI; thus I don't think I can
> mentor this idea further *and* I don't have the time or interest for it.
> Sorry.
>

>> pk> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas
>> It seems that the WebUI overlaps considerably with the "MyFedora" idea
>> which has already been started:
>>

> Yeah, MyFedora was still young (or even not born yet) when I added the
> idea to the wiki. I don't know much about MyFedora, but afaics it could
> need help as well and might be a good GSoC project.
>
> Cu
> knurd

Hi!

Thanks for your reply.
It is a great pity :(

If I understood there is no reason to start doing Package WebUI from the
very begining because
MyFedora project is aimed at solving the same problems.
In what way the idea of Package WebUI can be relate to GSoC?

As far as I can see the idea of WebInstall is similar?
Is WebInstall project still relevant to GSoC or MyFedora will cope with
its functions?
--
Best regards. Pavel Khardikov