yum & slow internet

Diego Escobar dezone24 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 21:38:12 UTC 2008

> Personally I think people would be happier if the downloadonly plugin
> would be included in a base install and documentation/examples/help
> showed it as the typical update method.  That is, do the:
> yum --downloadonly update
> more or less unattended, repeating as necessary if it doesn't complete
> and knowing it won't hurt anything, then babysit the real
> yum update
> which will happen quickly and may need a reboot and/or some application
> testing afterwards.

+1

Thats the way. Simplify the things for the final user. (Newbie or not).
Maybe this so clear for people who are in the know, but most part of people
not.
All my suggestions here, are for that reason.

I would like a simple option "Download and notification when updates are
ready to install" Should I know that I have download another package? Should
I know yum --downloadonly update? By this way no. Clear for the user.

Thanks.

--
Diego Escobar
Fedora Ambassador for Colombia