Improving speed of transactions

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek jakub.rusinek at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 18:32:43 UTC 2008

Dnia 25-03-2008, wto o godzinie 17:13 +0000, Bill Crawford pisze:
> On 25/03/2008, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek <jakub.rusinek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >  The .desktop files are freezing my system everytime they are
> >  installed...
> >
> >  Slow or fast computer - doesn't matter...
>
> That's always been my experience (and things like icons and .desktop
> files are far less likely to be vitally important to the running of
> other scriptlets than libraries).

I wonder if this part can be reviewed... KDE doens't have such freeze
when installing apps.

> >  I mentioned icon cache with GTK_UPDATE_ICON_CACHE.
>
> Sorry, yes, I managed to not actually notice that first time around :-$

Don't worry ;) .

> That seems to be a much bigger hog (and kbuildsycoca, too alas). There
> seems to have been a big improvement in the performance of adding or
> removing gconf schemas over the years, luckily, that's another
> timewaster.

Try installing compiz-*gnome packages on Pentium 2 450MHz with 128MB
RAM. What a suffering, what a pain!

> >  BTW, what do you think about such solution, I described?
>
> I'd like to see something like your description (logrotate has a
> similar concept with its "sharedscripts" flag when an application
> (possibly) handles many files e.g /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog).
>
> This is (unsurprisingly) one of those things that is brought up
> occasionally and usually we're all too afraid of the consequences of
> getting it wrong to change anything :o) plus tbh, it's hard to think
> of a good syntax for it.

When I was using openSUSE (and then get back with apologize to Fedora) I
saw their SuSEconfig. I asked what is it for and it was interesting to
me.

I didn't poke into their specs with ldconfig (and others) calls, but I
think that replacing direct calls might be good idea and some
improvement.

--
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek
http://liviopl.jogger.pl/