kernel-libre (hopefully 100% Free) for Fedora 8 and rawhide

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 19:44:14 UTC 2008

Alexandre Oliva (aoliva at redhat.com) said:
> > Once you remove the politics,
>
> ...that are the core of any mission, such as Fedora's stated mission,
> and that make all of the difference in this case.

No, they don't. Forks are *bad*. Maintaining them is *bad*. For initimately
core packages, it's even worse.

> > That's why were telling you to work in the upstream
>
> That won't work.  Upstream doesn't value freedom like we do,

'We'? Excuse me?

You do not speak for me. You do not speak for Fedora. You do not decide
yourself what is relevant. I don't see you on the Board, where we decide
these policies. I don't see you on FESCo, where we deal with implementation
issues of the boards policies and engineering details. Believe me, you
are free to run for either of those bodies, and free to make proposals
to them.

However, in both of those places, we've come up with very simple rules:
- forks of packages generally require approval from the maintainers of
  the original versions of those packages
- no alternative kernels or kernel modules allowed in Fedora

Regardless of the politics that stand behind your proposal, those still apply.
You don't get to randomly override them with a simple 'Oh, but this agrees
with the Fedora mission!' And that's why your proposal as it stands isn't good
enough for Fedora.

> Fedora spin built exclusively out of Free Software, and instead
> setting me off into an impossible mission as a pre-condition, that's
> quite surprising and saddening.

Another contributor! Stay awhile... stay forever!

Seriously, those that maintain or help to maintain the Fedora kernel have
told you *exactly* how this should be worked to be done, and make it
acceptable for both you and for Fedora.

I'm sorry the work might take slightly longer. I'm sorry that it may be
harder to implement. But that is not really the problem of Fedora. I'd like
to think we hold things to a somewhat higher standard than the cheap broken
fix.

Bill