system-config-soundcard: why?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 21:52:37 UTC 2008

> Jesse Keating (jkeating at redhat.com) said:
> > > So, why do we need this in the default install?
> >
> > Why do we need this at all?  Is it time for a block-pkg ?
>
> Well, I could argue why do we need csh, or 20 IRC clients, or apps written
> in Motif/lesstif, or applets that check for new mail by parsing a RSS feed
> in perl (with passwords written to the local disk, yay), and a variety of
> things that I'm sure other people have a need for. Doesn't necessarily mean
> they should be *blocked*, just not in the default install.

Yes, but if system-config-soundcard isn't actually solving any issues,
are we just maintaining it out of anger?  At some point we really need
to ask, what is the point of having this software?  Has it outlived it's
usefulness?  We can orphan it and see if somebody wants to pick it up,
but we can ask them the same thing, why?

--
Jesse Keating