KDE-SIG weekly report (13/2008)

Sebastian Vahl ml at deadbabylon.de
Wed Mar 26 10:00:38 UTC 2008

This is a report of the weekly KDE-SIG-Meeting with a summary of the
topics that were discussed. If you want to add a comment please reply
 to this email or add it to the related meeting page.

= Weekly KDE Summary =

Week: 13/2008

Time: 2008-03-25 16:00 UTC

Meeting page: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Meetings/2008-03-25

Meeting log:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Meetings/2008-03-25?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=fedora-kde-sig-2008-03-25.txt

= Participants =

- GeraldCox
- RexDieter
- SebastianVahl
- ThanNgo

= Agenda =

topics to discuss:
- Summary of problems in Fedora 9 Beta
- Artwork: KDM Theme and KSplash
- No administrator mode in systemsettings (KDE Bug #151669) [1]
- kickoff vs simple menu?

recent bugs:
#438547: nas: pkg split
#436579: apidocs subpackage should be noarch

= Summary =

o Summary of problems in Fedora 9 Beta:
- Due to the slip of the Beta release there are no known reports yet.

o Artwork: KDM Theme and KSplash:
- There will be no GDM theme for Fedora 9 which we can adopt because of some
significant changes to gdm.
- So if we want to use a Fedora themed KDM we need some help from artists.
- Otherwise the upstream default theme (circles) will be the default for
Fedora 9.

o No administrator mode in systemsettings:
- This issue was reported several times on the mailing lists.
- It is known upstream but not fixed in KDE 4.0.2.
- ThanNgo will check if it is fixed in svn trunk.

o kickoff vs. simple menu?:
- Kickoff is not very usable with low resolutions and also some users
complained about it on the mailing lists.
- The proposal here is to make the simple menu the default menu in Fedora 9 to
simulate the old kicker style menu.
- The KDE SIG is undecided in this question.
- So we will bring the discussion to fedora-devel-list (or
fedora-desktop-list) for wider audience.

o #438547: nas: pkg split:
- The "Network Sound Daemon" (nas) is always started by default in a default
installation.
- Parts from nasd (%{_libdir}/libaudio.so.?) are required for arts and
qt4-x11/-doc/-devel.
- It seems that no package in Fedora is using nasd.
- The proposal is to split %{_libdir}/libaudio.so.* into a nas-libs sub
package to fulfill the requirements for arts and qt4.
- So nas (the package and the sound daemon nasd) itself will not be installed
by default but still will be available in the repository.
- Once qt-4.4 will be in rawhide, nas support should be dropped.
- But the final decision is up to FrankBüttner, the maintainer of nas.

o 36579: apidocs subpackage should be noarch:
- The size of kdelibs-apidocs is quite huge (about 250 megs) and the package
is available for each architecture.
- Every single update will also create an arch-dependent update of the apidocs
sub package.
- The solutions for this could be:
 * using the same hooks as the kernel-doc package
 * maintaining two SRPMS, one arch specific and one noarch
 * get rpm to create noarch sub packages
- RexDieter will explore the implementation of building from a single source
(like kernel-doc).

= Next Meeting =

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/KDE/Meetings/2008-04-01

= Links =