few ideas how to make fedora better as a desktop

Shawn Starr sstarr at platform.com
Thu Mar 27 16:06:13 UTC 2008

> There is also a similar case for /usr/bin vs /bin (e.g. some OSs
> traditionally had very stripped down versions of a few command in
> /sbin or /bin, then fuller ones in /usr/bin - trivial example would be
> "vi" of course).

This is because /sbin was for 'static' binaries (static-bin). We needed this back when live CDs didn't exist, or if you somehow foobared your GNU libc you had /sbin/sln (static link) to fix a system, now a days you pop in a CD, chroot to the saddened Linux system and repair it easily.  You used /sbin as your emergency kit and superuser tools.

Shawn.