Res: Suggestion Next Release

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 21:22:57 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:57 PM, Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com> wrote:

> Of course, I'm not claiming the Slashdot is scientific, but for the sake
> of the argument, it represents the Community a heck of a lot better than
> some in-group of developers.

Nope.. I absolutely and positively fundamentally disagree.
Decision making is not going to be held hostage by the likes of the slashdot
'community'

> We can do a poll in any sufficiently large population of users (not
> only GNOME developers), and I'm willing to bet a dollar in small change
> you'll get the same result: people don't generally like spatial.

What is popular is not always right. And what is right is not always
popular.  Merit based decision-making is not the science of popularity, even
in interaction design. Merit based decision making is grounded in rational,
informed discussion. Popularity contests are neither.  If they were, I would
have been prom king!   All changes require a learning curve... the metrics
that matter are honest to god efforts to measure differences in things like
"productivity" and "learnability".. measurable factors which make up
"usability" generally. In a meritocracy popularity is simply NOT important.

You've sullied the discussion by invoking the morass of opinion mongering
that is slashdot.
You want to talk about usability issues and want to be taken seriously..
than take a stab at making arguments grounded in interaction design
concepts.

-jef"One user - One vote is NOT how decision making is going to work in open
development as implemented in this project or any other open source project.
You must bring rational, well argued positions to the table if you want to
influence the work that others are doing, something that is true beyond just
open software development...or you will be summarily ignored. This I have
learned through hard-earned personal experience and you aren't going to
change how it actually works by stomping around making a big fuss about it
it being unfair.  To influence the work others are doing you have to speak
their priorities not your own."spaleta