Multilib Middle-Ground

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 2 22:43:27 UTC 2008

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
>> Can't you just always provide at least 2 versioned libraries?  One
>> essentially equivalent to the latest released RHEL or Centos version(s)
>> and the other whatever flavor is current?  And unless apps need
>> something new, build them against the stable version.
>
> Fedora is about CURRENT technology. They will ALWAYS prefer the CURRENT version
> of the libraries if it is at all possible. Why should Fedora build against an
> old one? You are using the wrong distribution.

Yes, I probably overstated the need for long term backwards
compatibility in fedora itself, although I still don't see why it is
impossible or undesirable.   What I really want is a smooth transition
between those 'right' distibutions....  That is, assuming RHEL or Centos
as stable production environments, I want to be able to have a
development environment that doesn't take major work to keep running
things from the  current production environment and by the time of the
next enterprise release also provides a smooth transition in that
direction.  Sort of like the old days of using RH X.0 for
development/testing and by X.2 things were good to go.

>> I'd like to think of distributions as having some editorial control over
>> what they ship.  If someone writes crap you don't have to publish it.
>> Or at least overlap old/new versions for a complete version run.
>
> We can't ship unmaintained old versions forever. Are you going to maintain the
> obsolete branches of things like GCC?

Isn't that already being done elsewhere?  It is only unnecessary
fedora-specific incompatibilities that would keep you from using it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com